Now that we've talked about hats let me show you the MakerWear hat that I picked out!
Skirt: Vintage, Hand me UP from Suze! (similar stripe skirt in pastel shades)
Sweater: Merona, Thrifted (similar green cableknit sweater)
Denim Jacket: Old Navy, Thrifted (similar and under $40!)
Boots: St John's Bay, Thrifted, $4.60 (similar brown boots under $30)
Necklace: Old Navy, $4.99 (gorgeous triangle shape necklace alternative)
Hat: ℅ MakerWear [retails for $16.99]
Glasses: Firmoo, $6.95 [exact pair]
Naturally, out of all their hats, it was the Put A Bird On It hat that spoke to me… I'm loving it for two reasons: 1.) It's navy and I think I'm having a color love affair with navy right now and 2.) The birds give it a vintage, happy feel. The artist that created the design is J.J. Spectre who, according the artist bio (all can be found with each hat on the site and the tag that come with the hat), is a unicorn who is a design nerd and type lover. Sounds like a fun guy/gal… hope they're enjoying how I styled the design!
Since the birds are quite colorful, I thought I would go that route too. As you can tell, it was a sunny day and, despite being cold, a sunny day calls for color, am I right? This skirt is such a favorite of mine… I could never believe Suze gave it up, but I'm glad she did and that it came to live with me! This denim jacket is also quite a go to for me… I think it was supposed to be a dress but I use it as a jacket - it fits perfectly over almost everything and covers all the right areas. :-)
I had the day off on Monday so I wore this to do some thrift shopping since it was a half off clothes sale day at Salvation Army. Super comfortable and easy to wear… I normally wear a headband when I don't feel like washing my hair, but I think this hat is a great new addition for those kinds of days! Why did I never think of that before? Cute accessory doing double duty to cover up yesterday's hair? Yes, please.
I love that the underside of the hat brim is a different color than the rest of it. It adds a fun pop of color that I think looks great with my glasses… or my Sally Jesse Raphael's, as I call them. Please tell me you know who SJR is or we might have issues... Plus, red and navy together are just so classic - you can't go wrong with that combination.
One of my favorite things about the hat is that IT FITS MY HEAD! Such a novel concept but I swear I often try on hats and they never seem to really fit my head. I don't know if I have a small head (I wouldn't think so), but all baseballs hats normally feel really roomy on me. This one fits perfectly snug and I think the leather strap and buckle on the back might have a lot to do with that. It allows for a really good fit and it is still easy to adjust while you have it on which I really liked - it made it easy to get the perfect fit without having it take it on and off each time.
So, let's review:
- MakerWear is powered by the people - they call it "curated crowd sourcing" and they're using it as a powerful new way to bring fashion to market. Independent artists make designs, the best designs get made and…
- They are sold at Target! I'm sure you can agree - it's one of the best stores. Click here to see if they are available at a Target store near you. (Unfortunately, they're not available in every store yet but let's change that, shall we!?)
- The hats retail for $16.99. Less than a twenty spot for a new accessory that looks cute AND covers up that dirty hair that we all know you didn't wash this morning……. ;-)
Ready to become a part of the MakerWear revolution? There are a few ways you can take part:
1. BECOME THE FACE OF THE REVOLUTION! Become the role model for the maker revolution… not only will you star in their photoshoot, but you'll also win a $1,000 Target gift card. Uhhh, HELLO! Click here to learn how you can enter! I would love to see one of my readers win this!
2. JOIN ME FOR A TWITTER PARTY! I'll be joining the @MakerWearDesign twitter party hosted by @ThriftyChicMom and @TammileeTips tomorrow, January 22nd, at 9pm. You'll definitely want to come too because there will be fabulous giveaways: five $25 Target gift cards, one $100 Target gift card and 15 MakerWear hats! Head on over to Thrifty & Chic Mom to view the official party details. See you there!
SHOP THE LOOK: